Fork yo!

I participated in Selkirk Mb. at the annual Holiday Alley blacksmithing competition hosted by the good folks of Cloverdale Forge. We competitors all had I piece of 21" 3/8" square rod and 1 hour to make a fork. We could also start with a 1 1/4" * 1/4" * 12" flat bar too.  There was 3 categories to win. Length of handle, the most marshmallows placed on tines in 9o secs (including a run around the smithing area) and jurors choice. I had fun working up my design. I focussed on the jurors choice catagory. I didn't win. I achieved my goal of making a nice forged fork in less than 60 mins though. I made two practice forks a week before the event. So I'm way ahead on learning design and forging skills.
   I ran the provided forge fire too hot and burned my tines twice. Still, I managed to complete my dinner style fork in 53 mins. Thanks to Matt and Rudy for all the support.
9





Comments

Popular Posts